Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A CHALLENGE. By Kaitlyn Mallinder.

0 (1024×768)
I looked over the edge of a hard rock face. My blood ran cold. My legs started to shiver. I grabbed the rope. My hands started to tremble. I was terrified.  The instructor started to connect me to the safety rope.  I looked behind me. ‘Don’t look down’ I thought. The man glanced at me as he finished getting me ready. He saw the worried look on my face. He looked back down and said “You can go down now”. I shuddered.  No reassurance that I’m going to be okay! Offended by his response I paused. Pictures flew through my mind of me falling, getting stuck, bashing into the wall and death! I was terrified.

I nearly screamed in terror, it was so high. I was afraid of heights. I took one more tiny shuffle back. I was millimetres away from the edge of the rock face. ‘Soon’ I thought. ‘I’ll be down the bottom.’  I stepped back and it felt like a swinging motion.  I just stepped back and swooped onto the rock face. I slowly crept down. I started doing little jumps. ‘Maybe abseiling isn't as hard as I thought it was,’ I thought. ‘I want to do it again.’

No comments:

Post a Comment